French toast Casserole Recipe: Wave goodbye to soggy French toast and hello to this heavenly baked version that’s bursting with flavor and guaranteed to impress. Imagine golden, custardy bread cubes nestled in a rich, buttery caramel sauce, all topped with a touch of cinnamon and maple syrup. This isn’t your average breakfast; it’s a breakfast casserole masterpiece that’s perfect for feeding a crowd (or just enjoying all to yourself, we won’t judge).
Forget slaving over the pan on Sunday morning, this recipe comes together in a flash thanks to the magic of the oven. Simply assemble, bake, and prepare to be wowed by the fluffy, caramelized goodness that awaits. Whether you’re hosting a brunch bash or looking for a cozy weekend treat, this French toast casserole will steal the show and leave your taste buds singing.
French toast Casserole Recipe is a delightful breakfast dish that’s perfect for special occasions or lazy weekend mornings. It’s essentially a baked version of French toast, where cubes of bread are soaked in a custard mixture and then baked until golden brown and puffed up. The result is a comforting and delicious casserole that’s bursting with flavor.
This recipe is a simple and straightforward one, but it still produces a French toast casserole that’s sure to impress. The key is to use good-quality bread, such as challah or brioche, and to let the casserole soak for at least 30 minutes before baking. This allows the bread to absorb all the custard flavors and ensures that it bakes up evenly.
So, gather your ingredients, preheat your oven, and get ready to experience French toast like never before!
French toast Casserole Recipe:
- For the caramelized layer:
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (200g) packed brown sugar
- For the casserole:
- 1 loaf (about 8 oz) crusty bread, such as challah, French bread, or brioche, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- For the topping (optional):
- 1/4 cup (60g) packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
Instructions for French toast casserole recipe:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Make the caramelized layer: In a large oven-proof skillet or baking dish, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar until dissolved and smooth. Let the mixture bubble for 1-2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Assemble the casserole: Arrange the bread cubes in a single layer over the caramelized layer. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes, making sure all the pieces are soaked. Let the casserole sit for 30 minutes, or up to overnight, to allow the bread to absorb the custard.
- Bake the casserole: Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown and puffed. Sprinkle with the optional topping of brown sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter before serving.
- Serve warm with maple syrup, fresh fruit, or whipped cream.
- For a richer flavor, use half-and-half or heavy cream instead of milk.
- You can add other toppings to your liking, such as chopped nuts, dried fruit, or chocolate chips.
- If you don’t have challah or brioche bread, you can use any type of bread that you like. However, keep in mind that some breads, such as white bread, will soak up the custard more quickly than others.
- This casserole can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator overnight. Simply reheat it in the oven before serving.
Enjoy this easy and delicious French toast casserole recipe!
What makes this French toast casserole special?
Ditch the soggy! This baked version boasts golden, custardy bread cubes nestled in a buttery caramel sauce, all topped with cinnamon and maple. It’s fluffy, flavorful, and perfect for a crowd (or solo indulgence!).
How easy to French toast casserole Recipe make ?
Super easy! Assemble, bake, and let the oven do the magic. No more slaving over the stove on Sunday morning.
What are the ingredients in French toast casserole?
The basic ingredients for French toast casserole are bread, eggs, milk, sugar, and spices. You can also add in other ingredients like nuts, dried fruit, or chocolate chips.
Can I customize it?
Absolutely! Add nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips, or swap milk for half-and-half for a richer flavor.
Yes! Store them in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheat in the oven or microwave. Bonus breakfast for later!
Can I make French toast casserole ahead of time?
Yes, you can assemble the casserole and refrigerate it overnight. This will allow the bread to soak up the custard and make it even more flavorful. Just be sure to bake it within 24 hours.
This French toast casserole is a game-changer. It’s delicious, easy, and perfect for any occasion. Give it a try and prepare to be amazed!