Tofu burgers are a delicious and nutritious alternative to meat burgers. They are also very versatile, as you can add any type of toppings that you like.
This recipe for on a bun with toppings is a simple and delicious option that is packed with protein and fiber. It is also easy to make and can be customized to your liking.
- 1 (14 ounce) block extra-firm tofu, pressed and crumbled
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 whole-wheat bun
- Your favorite toppings (such as lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, ketchup, and mustard)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius).
- In a large bowl, combine the crumbled tofu, bread crumbs, onion, cilantro, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Form the tofu mixture into 4 patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu patties to the skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Place the tofu patties on the bun and top with your favorite toppings.
- For a creamier tofu burger, use silken tofu.
- To press the tofu, wrap it in a few layers of paper towels and place a heavy object on top, such as a cast iron skillet. Let the tofu press for 15-30 minutes.
- Add other vegetables to your tofu burger mixture, such as carrots, celery, or mushrooms.
- For a spicier tofu burger, add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Serve your tofu burger with a side of fries, chips, or salad.
- BBQ burger: Top your burger with BBQ sauce, grilled onions, and avocado.
- Mexican burger: Top your burger with salsa, guacamole, and sour cream.
- Asian burger: Top your burger with teriyaki sauce, sriracha, and pickled ginger.
What type of tofu should I use for tofu burgers?
Firm or extra firm tofu is the best choice for burgers. It will hold its shape well when cooked.
How do I prepare the tofu for the burgers?
To prepare the tofu for the burgers, crumble it with your hands or in a food processor. Then, press the tofu to remove excess moisture. You can use a tofu press or simply place the tofu between two pieces of paper towel and weigh it down with something heavy.
What ingredients can I add to my tofu burgers?
There are many different ingredients that you can add to your tofu burgers. Some popular choices include:
Breadcrumbs or panko
Spices (such as cumin, chili powder, and paprika)
Herbs (such as parsley and cilantro)
Vegan egg replacer
How do I cook the tofu burgers?
To cook the tofu burgers, simply heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu burgers to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through.
What toppings can I add to my tofu burgers?
There are many different toppings that you can add to your tofu burgers. Some popular choices include:
Can I make tofu burgers ahead of time?
Yes, you can make tofu burgers ahead of time. Simply assemble the burgers as directed, then wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or foil. Store the burgers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. When you are ready to eat, simply cook the burgers as directed.