Lentil soup is a hearty and nutritious soup that is perfect for a cold day. It is also very easy to make and can be customized to your liking. This recipe is a simple and delicious option that is packed with protein and fiber.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, turmeric, black pepper, and salt to the pot and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the lentils, vegetable broth, and diced tomatoes to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
- Stir in the cilantro and serve hot.
- For a creamier soup, puree half of the soup in a blender before returning it to the pot.
- Add other vegetables to your soup, such as carrots, celery, or potatoes.
- For a spicier soup, add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Serve your soup with a side of crusty bread or a scoop of rice.
- Lentil Chicken soups: Add cooked chicken to the soup.
- Lentil Taco soups: Add 1 tablespoon taco seasoning to the soup and top with your favorite taco toppings, such as shredded cheese, sour cream, and guacamole.
- lentil Coconut soups: Add 1/2 cup coconut milk to the soup for a richer flavor.
- Lentil curry soup: Add 1 tablespoon curry powder to the soup for a flavorful and exotic twist.
No matter how you make it, lentil soup is a delicious and nutritious way to enjoy a meal.
Additional tips for making the best lentil soup:
- Choose the right lentils. There are many different types of lentils available, but the most common types used in lentil soup are brown lentils and green lentils. Brown lentils are a bit heartier than green lentils, so they are a good choice for a hearty soup. Green lentils are more delicate, so they cook faster and are a good choice for a lighter soup.
- Rinse the lentils before cooking. This will help to remove any dirt or debris.
- Don’t overcook the lentils. Lentils should be cooked until they are tender but still have a bit of bite to them. Overcooked lentils will be mushy.
- Season the soup to taste. Lentil soup can be seasoned with a variety of different herbs and spices, such as salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, and turmeric.
- Serve the soup hot. Lentil soup is best served hot, with a side of crusty bread or a scoop of rice.
What type of lentils should I use for lentil soup?
You can use any type of lentils for lentil soup, but green lentils and brown lentils are the most popular choices. Green lentils have a mild flavor and hold their shape well when cooked. Brown lentils have a more earthy flavor and become softer when cooked.
How do I prepare the lentils for lentil soup?
To prepare the lentils for lentil soup, simply rinse them in cold water to remove any dirt or debris. You do not need to soak the lentils before cooking.
What ingredients can I add to my lentil soup?
There are many different ingredients that you can add to your lentil soup. Some popular choices include:
Vegetables (such as carrots, celery, onion, and garlic)
Spices (such as cumin, coriander, and turmeric)
Herbs (such as thyme, rosemary, and parsley)
Broth (such as vegetable broth or chicken broth)
Salt and pepper
How do I cook lentil soup?
To cook lentil soup, simply heat a tablespoon of oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the vegetables to the pot and cook until softened. Then, add the spices, herbs, and broth to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
Can I make lentil soup ahead of time?
Yes, you can make lentil soup ahead of time. Simply cook the soup as directed, then let it cool completely. Store the soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you are ready to eat, simply reheat the soup on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Here are some additional tips for making the best lentil soup:
Use high-quality ingredients. The quality of your ingredients will make a big difference in the taste of your lentil soup.
Don’t overcook the lentils. Overcooked lentils will become mushy.
Be creative with your toppings. You can add a variety of toppings to your lentil soup, such as croutons, sour cream, and chopped cilantro.
Enjoy! Lentil soup is a delicious and nutritious meal that is perfect for any occasion.