Korean rice cake, also known as tteok, is a popular Korean dish made from glutinous rice flour. It is a staple food in Korean cuisine and is often enjoyed as a snack or dessert. Korean rice cake is versatile and can be served in many different ways, from sweet to savory. In this article, we’ll share a delicious and easy recipe for sweet Korean rice cake that you can make at home.
Ingredients for Korean rice cake:
- 1 cup glutinous rice flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Food coloring (optional)
- Cornstarch, for dusting
Instructions Korean rice cake:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the glutinous rice flour, sugar, and water. Mix well until the ingredients form a smooth and sticky dough.
- Add the vanilla extract and a few drops of food coloring, if desired. Mix until the dough is evenly colored.
- Place the dough in a microwave-safe bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir the dough with a spatula. The dough should be slightly cooked and firm.
- Re-cover the bowl with plastic wrap and microwave for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir the dough again. If the dough is still too soft and sticky, microwave it for another 30 seconds.
- Dust a clean work surface with cornstarch. Turn the dough out onto the surface and knead it for a few minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Roll the dough into a log shape and cut it into small pieces, about 1 inch in length.
- Roll each piece of dough into a ball and flatten it slightly.
- Place the rice cakes on a plate and sprinkle them with cornstarch to prevent sticking.
- To cook the rice cakes, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the rice cakes and stir gently to prevent sticking.
- Cook the rice cakes for 2-3 minutes, or until they float to the surface of the water.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the rice cakes from the water and place them on a plate.
- Serve the rice cakes immediately, while they are still warm and soft.
Enjoy your delicious Korean rice cake!
Tips and variations for Korean rice cake:
- For a different flavor, you can add other ingredients to the dough, such as cocoa powder, matcha powder, or cinnamon.
- You can also stuff the rice cakes with sweet fillings, such as red bean paste, sesame paste, or chopped nuts.
- To make the rice cakes extra chewy, soak them in cold water for a few hours before cooking.
- If you don’t have a microwave, you can steam the rice cakes instead. Place the rice cakes on a piece of greased parchment paper and steam them for 10-15 minutes, or until they are cooked through.
- If you have leftover rice cakes, you can store them in the refrigerator for a few days. To reheat them, simply microwave or steam them until they are warm and soft.
Korean rice cake is a delicious and easy-to-make treat that can be enjoyed in many different ways. Whether you prefer them sweet or savory, these chewy rice cakes are a tasty and satisfying snack that is sure to please. Give this recipe a try and enjoy the unique flavors and textures of Korean cuisine!