Coconut cake is a beloved dessert that is popular all over the world, but especially in the United States. This classic cake is light, fluffy, and has a sweet coconut flavor that is hard to resist. In this article, we’ll share a delicious and easy recipe for the best coconut cake that you can make at home.
Ingredients for Coconut Cake Recipe:
For the cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 and 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
For the frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
Instructions for Coconut Cake Recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the coconut milk, and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the sweetened shredded coconut.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, cream the butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, alternating with the coconut milk, and mix until well combined.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Spread a layer of frosting on top of one of the cake layers, then sprinkle with toasted coconut.
- Top with the second cake layer and spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake.
- Sprinkle with the remaining toasted coconut.
- Serve the cake at room temperature and enjoy!
Tips and variations for Coconut Cake Recipe:
- If you can’t find unsweetened coconut milk, you can use regular coconut milk and reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe.
- To toast the shredded coconut, spread it in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 5-10 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- For an extra burst of coconut flavor, you can add a few drops of coconut extract to the cake batter or frosting.
- If you prefer a less sweet frosting, you can use whipped cream instead of buttercream.
- If you’re short on time, you can use a boxed cake mix and add shredded coconut to the batter for a quick and easy coconut cake.
- To make the cake gluten-free, you can use a gluten-free flour blend instead of all-purpose flour.
This delicious and easy-to-make coconut cake is perfect for any occasion, from birthdays to holidays to casual get-togethers. With its sweet and light flavor, it’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Give this recipe a try and enjoy the taste of the tropics!