Eggplant Parmesan is a classic Italian dish that is made with breaded and fried eggplant slices, layered with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. It is a delicious and hearty dish that is perfect for a weeknight meal or a special occasion.
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a shallow dish, combine the flour, salt, and pepper.
- In a separate shallow dish, beat the eggs.
- In a third shallow dish, combine the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Dredge the eggplant slices in the flour mixture, then dip in the beaten egg, and finally coat in the bread crumb mixture.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Fry the eggplant slices in batches until golden brown and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.
- Drain the eggplant slices on paper towels.
- To assemble the eggplant Parmesan, spread a thin layer of tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Top with a layer of eggplant slices.
- Spread a layer of tomato sauce over the eggplant slices.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layers, ending with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the eggplant Parmesan is bubbly and the cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Garnish with fresh basil if desired.
- To make the eggplant ahead of time, assemble the dish and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Before baking, let the eggplant come to room temperature for 30 minutes.
- To make a vegetarian eggplant, use a vegetarian mozzarella cheese.
- To make a vegan eggplants Parmesan, use a vegan mozzarella cheese and omit the eggs from the breading.
What type of eggplant should I use for eggplant Parmesan?
Any type of eggplant can be used for eggplant Parmesan, but globe eggplants are the most popular choice. Globe eggplants are large and round, with a firm texture.
How do I prepare the eggplant for eggplant Parmesan?
To prepare the eggplant for eggplant Parmesan, simply slice it into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Then, sprinkle the eggplant slices with salt and let them sit for 30 minutes. This will help to draw out the moisture from the eggplant. After 30 minutes, rinse the eggplant slices with water and pat them dry with paper towels.
What ingredients can I use to coat the eggplant slices?
There are many different ingredients that you can use to coat the eggplant slices. Some popular choices include:
· Breadcrumbs or panko
· Parmesan cheese
· Dried oregano
· Garlic powder
· Onion powder
· Salt and pepper
How do I cook the eggplant slices?
There are two main ways to cook the eggplant slices for eggplant Parmesan: baking and frying.
To bake the eggplant slices:
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil.
4. Place the eggplant slices on the baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown and tender.
To fry the eggplant slices:
1. Heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add the eggplant slices to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden brown and tender.
How do I assemble the eggplant Parmesan?
To assemble the eggplant Parmesan, simply spread a thin layer of tomato sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Then, layer the eggplant slices, tomato sauce, and mozzarella cheese. Repeat the layers until you have used up all of the ingredients. End with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
How do I cook the eggplant Parmesan?
To cook the eggplant Parmesan, simply bake it in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Can I make eggplant Parmesan ahead of time?
Yes, you can make eggplant Parmesan ahead of time. Simply assemble the eggplant Parmesan as directed, but do not bake it. Cover the eggplant Parmesan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. When you are ready to bake the eggplant Parmesan, simply preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the eggplant Parmesan for 30-35 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.