Vegetable lasagna is a delicious and hearty dish that is perfect for a weeknight meal or a special occasion. It is also a great way to get your daily dose of vegetables. This recipe is easy to follow and can be customized to your liking.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 1 cup chopped spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese to the skillet. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, egg, and spinach.
- To assemble the lasagna, spread a thin layer of tomato sauce in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with a layer of lasagna noodles.
- Spread a layer of the spinach ricotta mixture over the noodles. Top with a layer of zucchini, mushrooms, and green bell pepper.
- Repeat layers, ending with a layer of noodles and tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top of the lasagna.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the lasagna is bubbly and heated through.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- For a creamier lasagna, add 1/2 cup of milk or heavy cream to the ricotta cheese mixture.
- To make a spicier lasagna, add a pinch of red pepper flakes to the tomato sauce.
- You can also add other vegetables to your lasagna, such as carrots, eggplant, or squash.
- To make ahead, assemble the lasagna and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Before baking, let the lasagna come to room temperature for 30 minutes.
What type of pasta should I use for vegetable lasagna?
You can use any type of pasta for vegetable lasagna, but lasagna noodles are the most popular choice. Lasagna noodles are wide and flat, which makes them perfect for layering in lasagna.
How do I make the tomato sauce for vegetable lasagna?
To make the tomato sauce for vegetable lasagna, simply heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add an onion and a garlic clove to the saucepan and cook until softened. Then, add a can of crushed tomatoes, a teaspoon of dried oregano, and a pinch of salt and pepper to the saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
What vegetables can I add to my vegetable lasagna?
You can add any type of vegetables to your vegetable lasagna. Some popular choices include zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, and spinach. You can also add other vegetables, such as broccoli, carrots, and peas.
How do I assemble the vegetable lasagna?
To assemble the vegetable lasagna, simply preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish. Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. Then, top the tomato sauce with a layer of pasta noodles. Add a layer of vegetables to the pasta noodles. Top the vegetables with a layer of ricotta cheese. Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce over the ricotta cheese. Repeat the layers until you have used up all of the ingredients. End with a layer of pasta noodles and a layer of tomato sauce. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top of the lasagna.
How do I cook the vegetable lasagna?
To cook the vegetable lasagna, simply bake it in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the lasagna is bubbling and the cheese is melted and golden brown.
Can I make vegetable lasagna ahead of time?
Yes, you can make vegetable lasagna ahead of time. Simply assemble the lasagna as directed, but do not bake it. Cover the lasagna with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. When you are ready to bake the lasagna, simply preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the lasagna for 35-40 minutes, or until it is bubbling and the cheese is melted and golden brown.