Vegetarian chili is a hearty and flavorful stew that is packed with protein and fiber. It is also very easy to make and can be customized to your liking. This recipe is a simple and delicious option that is perfect for a cold day.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and bell peppers and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the jalapeño peppers (if using), cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the kidney beans, black beans, pinto beans, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, and bay leaf to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the chili has thickened.
- Stir in the cilantro and serve.
- For a creamier chili, mash some of the beans with a fork before adding them to the pot.
- Add other vegetables to your chili, such as carrots, celery, or corn.
- For a spicier chili, add more jalapeño peppers or a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Serve your chili with your favorite toppings, such as shredded cheese, sour cream, and avocado.
- Sweet potato chili: Add 1 diced sweet potato to the pot along with the other vegetables.
- Pumpkin chili: Add 1 cup of pumpkin puree to the pot along with the other vegetables.
- Chocolate chili: Add 1 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder to the pot along with the other spices.
No matter how you make it, It is a delicious and nutritious meal that everyone can enjoy.
Here are some additional tips for making the best vegetarian chili:
- Use high-quality ingredients. The better the ingredients you use, the better your chili will taste.
- Don’t overcook the beans. Overcooked beans will be mushy and will not have a good texture.
- Season the chili well. The chili should be well-seasoned with salt, pepper, and other herbs and spices to taste.
- Let the chili simmer for a while. The longer the chili simmers, the more flavorful it will be.
- Serve the chili hot. Vegetarian chili is best served hot and fresh.
With these tips, you can make delicious and nutritious vegetarian chili that your whole
What types of beans can I use in vegetarian chili?
You can use any type of beans in vegetarian chili, but kidney beans, black beans, and pinto beans are the most popular choices. You can also use a mix of different types of beans.
What vegetables can I add to my vegetarian chili?
You can add any type of vegetables to your vegetarian chili. Some popular choices include onions, peppers, carrots, celery, and tomatoes. You can also add leafy greens, such as spinach or kale.
What spices can I add to my vegetarian chili?
There are many different spices that you can add to your vegetarian chili. Some popular choices include chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder. You can also add other spices to taste, such as oregano, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
How do I cook vegetarian chili?
To cook vegetarian chili, simply heat a tablespoon of oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the vegetables to the pot and cook until softened. Then, add the beans, spices, and broth to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until the chili has thickened.
Can I make vegetarian chili ahead of time?
Yes, you can make vegetarian chili ahead of time. Simply cook the vegetarian chili as directed, then let it cool completely. Store the vegetarian chili in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you are ready to eat, simply reheat the vegetarian chili in a pot over medium heat.