Lentil tacos are a delicious and nutritious alternative to traditional meat tacos. They are also very easy to make and can be customized to your liking. This recipe is a simple and flavorful option that is packed with protein and fiber.
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 8 corn tortillas
- Your favorite toppings (such as lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado, sour cream, and salsa)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the lentils, vegetable broth, onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
- While the lentils are cooking, in a small bowl, whisk together the water, tomato paste, lime juice, coriander, and cayenne pepper (if using).
- Once the lentils are cooked, drain off any excess liquid. Add the lentil mixture to the bowl with the tomato sauce and stir to combine.
- Heat the tortillas according to package directions.
- To assemble the tacos, place a dollop of the lentil mixture in the center of each tortilla. Top with your favorite toppings and serve immediately.
- For a creamier lentil taco filling, mash some of the lentils with a fork before adding them to the tomato sauce.
- Add other vegetables to your lentil taco filling, such as carrots, celery, or corn.
- For a spicier lentil taco filling, add more cayenne pepper or a chopped jalapeño pepper.
- Serve your lentil tacos with your favorite sides, such as rice, beans, or chips.
- Avocado lentil tacos: Top your lentil tacos with avocado slices.
- Mango lentil tacos: Top your lentil tacos with mango salsa.
- Pineapple lentil tacos: Top your lentil tacos with pineapple salsa.
No matter how you make them, lentil tacos are a delicious and nutritious meal that everyone can enjoy.
Here are some additional tips for making the best lentil tacos:
- Use high-quality ingredients. The better the ingredients you use, the better your lentil tacos will taste.
- Don’t overcook the lentils. Overcooked lentils will be mushy and will not have a good texture.
- Season the lentil taco filling well. The lentil taco filling should be well-seasoned with salt, pepper, and other herbs and spices to taste.
- Serve the lentil tacos immediately. Lentil tacos are best served hot and fresh.
With these tips, you can make delicious and nutritious lentil tacos that your whole family will enjoy.
What type of lentils should I use for lentil tacos?
You can use any type of lentils for lentil tacos, but brown lentils and green lentils are the most popular choices. Brown lentils have a more earthy flavor and become softer when cooked. Green lentils have a milder flavor and hold their shape well when cooked.
How do I prepare the lentils for lentil tacos?
To prepare the lentils for lentil tacos, simply rinse them in cold water to remove any dirt or debris. You do not need to soak the lentils before cooking.
What ingredients can I add to my lentil taco filling?
There are many different ingredients that you can add to your lentil taco filling. Some popular choices include:
Vegetables (such as onions, peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes)
Spices (such as cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder)
Herbs (such as cilantro and oregano)
Broth (such as vegetable broth or chicken broth)
How do I cook the lentil taco filling?
To cook the lentil taco filling, simply heat a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the vegetables to the skillet and cook until softened. Then, add the lentils, spices, and herbs to the skillet. Add enough broth to cover the lentils. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
Can I make lentil taco filling ahead of time?
Yes, you can make lentil taco filling ahead of time. Simply cook the lentil taco filling as directed, then let it cool completely. Store the lentil taco filling in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When you are ready to eat, simply reheat the lentil taco filling in a skillet over medium heat.