Butter chicken is a popular dish in Indian cuisine that is gaining popularity in the United States. It is a dish made from marinated chicken cooked in a creamy tomato-based sauce with butter and cream. The chicken is usually marinated in yogurt and a blend of spices such as cumin, coriander, and garam masala, which gives it a rich and flavorful taste.
The sauce is also flavored with these spices and usually has a delicate balance of sweet and savory flavors. It’s a dish that is perfect for those who like their food rich and flavorful. Often served with rice or naan bread, it’s a dish that can be enjoyed as a main course, and garnished with fresh cilantro or coriander leaves. Here we provides best butter chicken ever, so let’s make it.
How to make Butter chicken at home:
Ingredients for butter chicken:
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- Chopped cilantro or coriander leaves, for garnish
Instructions for butter chicken:
- In a large bowl, mix together the yogurt, ginger paste, garlic paste, red chili powder, cumin, coriander, garam masala, and salt. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- In a large pan, heat the tomato puree, heavy cream, butter, sugar, and kasoori methi over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and shake off any excess. In a separate pan, heat a little oil over medium-high heat and sauté the chicken until golden brown and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the tomato sauce and stir well. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Garnish with cilantro or coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or naan bread.
- You can adjust the amount of red chili powder to taste, depending on how spicy you like your food.
- You can also add some chopped onion and tomato to the sauce for more depth of flavor.
- You can also add some cashew paste or almond paste to thicken the sauce and make it more rich.
- If you don’t have kasoori methi, you can use fresh fenugreek leaves or omit it.
Enjoy your homemade Butter chicken with your friends and family!
Few more tips and variations to enhance your Butter chicken recipe:
- You can use bone-in chicken as well, just adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Marinating the chicken overnight will give it more flavor, but if you are short on time, you can marinate it for at least 30 minutes.
- To make it more healthy you can use boneless skinless chicken thighs and also use low-fat yogurt and cream.
- You can also use ghee (clarified butter) instead of butter for a more authentic taste.
- You can add some chopped bell peppers or mushrooms for some added texture and flavor.
- To make it more spicy, you can add some chopped green chili or red chili flakes.
- You can also add some coconut milk to the sauce for a different flavor profile.
- For a vegan version, you can use tofu, paneer, or vegetable like cauliflower or eggplant instead of chicken.
- You can also serve the butter chicken over basmati rice or with a side of naan bread.
- Finally, you can garnish the butter chicken with chopped fresh cilantro or coriander leaves, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice before serving.
Keep in mind that the most important thing is to have fun and experiment with different ingredients and techniques to create a butter chicken that suits your taste.
Why is butter chicken so tasty?
Butter chicken is considered tasty for several reasons:
- The combination of flavors: The dish is characterized by a delicate balance of sweet and savory flavors, with the sweetness coming from the tomato puree, cream and sugar, and the savory coming from the yogurt, spices and butter.
- The richness of the dish: The addition of cream and butter gives the dish a rich and creamy texture that is both comforting and satisfying.
- The use of aromatic spices: The use of Indian spices such as cumin, coriander, and garam masala, gives the dish a unique and complex flavor that is hard to replicate in other dishes.
- The marination of chicken: Marinating the chicken in yogurt and spices before cooking helps to infuse the meat with flavor, making it tender and juicy.
- The versatility of the dish: Butter chicken can be served with different sides, such as rice or naan bread, or can be used as a topping for pizzas and pastas.
All these factors, along with the cooking method, contribute to the delicious taste of Butter chicken.
Is Butter chicken healthy?
Butter chicken can be considered as a comfort food and is not typically considered a “healthy” dish because of its high calorie and fat content. The dish is made with heavy cream, butter, and yogurt which contribute to a high amount of fat and calories. Additionally, the dish is usually served with rice or naan bread which are also high in calories.
However, it is possible to make some modifications to the recipe to make it healthier. Such as:
- Using boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of breast meat, which is leaner.
- Using low-fat yogurt and cream instead of full-fat to reduce the fat content.
- Using ghee (clarified butter) instead of butter, which is lower in saturated fat and cholesterol.
- Adding vegetables like bell peppers or mushrooms to increase the fiber and nutrient content.
It’s also worth noting that a serving size of butter chicken should be kept moderate and it should be consumed as part of a balanced diet that includes plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
Why is it called Butter chicken?
Butter chicken is called so because it is made with a generous amount of butter. The dish is also known as murgh makhani in Hindi, which translates to “butter chicken” in English. The butter is used to create a rich and creamy texture for the sauce and also to add a rich and satisfying flavor to the dish.
The sauce is also made with cream and tomato puree, which gives it its distinctive sweet-tangy taste, and together with the butter, they balance the flavors of the dish. It’s also worth noting that butter has been used in Indian cuisine for centuries as a cooking medium and to add flavor to dishes. It is also a common ingredient in many traditional Indian dishes, and it’s not surprising that it is used in this popular dish.
Do you eat butter chicken with rice or naan?
Butter chicken is traditionally served with rice or naan bread. Basmati rice is a popular choice as it is fragrant and pairs well with the flavors of the dish. The rice is often cooked with a small amount of oil, ghee, or butter and sometimes with cumin, cardamom, and cinnamon, to enhance the flavors.
Naan bread is also a popular accompaniment to butter chicken. Naan is a type of leavened bread that is traditionally cooked in a tandoor oven. It is soft, fluffy and has a slightly smoky flavor that pairs well with the creamy and rich flavors of the butter chicken.
Both rice and naan bread are great options to serve with butter chicken, but you could also serve it with other type of breads like roti or chapati, or with a side of a salad. Some people also enjoy butter chicken as a topping for pizzas or pastas. It depends on your personal preference and how you want to enjoy this dish.
Is butter chicken good for weight loss?
Butter chicken, also known as murgh makhani, is a popular dish in Indian cuisine that is typically made with chicken cooked in a creamy tomato-based sauce. While it can be delicious, it is not typically considered a weight loss-friendly dish due to its high calorie and fat content.
The dish is often high in saturated fat and cholesterol, and can be high in sodium as well. If you are trying to lose weight, it may be best to enjoy butter chicken in moderation or to look for healthier versions of the dish that use less butter or cream. Additionally, it’s important to pair it with a balanced diet and regular exercise for weight loss.
Is butter chicken good for gym?
Butter chicken, being high in calorie and fat content, may not be the best option for those looking to fuel their gym or workout sessions. It is not a particularly good source of protein, and the high fat content may not provide the sustained energy needed for intense physical activity. Also, the high calorie and fat content may not align with body building goals.
That being said, it’s all about balancing your diet, if you are maintaining a balanced diet with sufficient protein, carbohydrates and healthy fats and including regular exercise, having butter chicken occasionally, in moderate portions, will not harm your progress.
It’s important to consider your overall dietary needs and goals, and to choose foods that will provide the nutrients and energy needed for optimal performance in the gym. A diet that is high in protein, low in processed and sugary foods, and rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains may be best for those looking to build muscle or improve their fitness.