Apple pie is a classic American dessert that is loved by people of all ages. It is also very easy to make and can be customized to your liking. This recipe is for a basic apple pie, but you can add or remove any ingredients that you like.
- For the crust:
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 6 tablespoons ice water, plus more as needed
- For the filling:
- 7 cups peeled, cored, and sliced apples (about 6 apples)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- To make the crust: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- Add the butter and cut it into the flour mixture with your fingers or a pastry blender until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the ice water and stir until the dough just comes together. If the dough is too dry, add more ice water a tablespoon at a time.
- Form the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- To make the filling: In a large bowl, combine the apples, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and lemon juice. Toss to coat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one half of the dough to a 12-inch circle. Transfer the dough to a 9-inch pie plate. Trim the edges of the dough and crimp them decoratively.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Roll out the remaining half of the dough to a 10-inch circle. Transfer the dough to the top of the pie and crimp the edges of the two crusts together.
- Cut several slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Brush the top crust with milk or cream, and sprinkle with sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Let the pie cool completely before slicing and serving.
- For a flakier crust, use ice water and handle the dough as little as possible.
- If the crust starts to shrink while you are rolling it out, let it rest in the refrigerator for a few minutes before continuing.
- To prevent the bottom crust from becoming soggy, prebake it for 10 minutes before adding the filling.
- If the top crust is browning too quickly, cover the pie with foil for the last 10 minutes of baking.
- Serve the pie warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Apple pie is a delicious and easy-to-make dessert that is perfect for any occasion. Enjoy!
Here are some additional tips for making the best apple pie:
- Use a variety of apples. This will give your pie a more complex flavor and texture.
- Don’t overbake the pie. Overbaked apple pie will be dry and tough.
- Let the pie cool completely before slicing and serving. This will help the filling to set and make it easier to slice.
What type of apples should I use for apple pie?
The best apples for apple pie are those that hold their shape well when cooked and have a tart-sweet flavor. Some popular options include:
· Granny Smith
· Pink Lady
You can also use a combination of different types of apples for your pie.
How to peel and core apples for apple pie?
To peel and core apples for apple pie, start by washing the apples thoroughly. Then, use a vegetable peeler to peel the apples. Once the apples are peeled, use a core remover to remove the cores.
How to make apple pie filling?
To make apple pie filling, start by slicing the apples into thin wedges. Then, in a large bowl, combine the apples with sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Toss the apples to coat them evenly.
How to make apple pie crust?
To make apple pie crust, start by combining the flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Then, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the ice water and stir until the dough just comes together.
How to assemble an apple pie?
To assemble an apple pie, start by preheating your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, roll out one of the pie crusts and place it in a 9-inch pie plate. Pour the apple filling into the pie crust. Roll out the second pie crust and place it over the top of the apple filling. Trim the edges of the pie crust and crimp them together to seal.
Cut several slits in the top of the pie crust to allow steam to escape. Brush the top of the pie crust with milk or cream. Sprinkle the top of the pie crust with sugar.
How to bake an apple pie?
Bake the apple pie for 40-45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Let the pie cool completely before slicing and serving.
Here are some additional tips for making apple pie:
· Use fresh, high-quality ingredients.
· Do not overmix the pie crust dough, or it will become tough.
· Chill the pie crust dough before rolling it out. This will help it to keep its shape.
· Blind bake the pie crust before adding the filling. This will help to prevent it from becoming soggy.
· Do not overbake the apple pie. The filling should be bubbling and the crust should be golden brown.
· Let the apple pie cool completely before slicing and serving.